Short Play: Lessons in Love
Lessons in Love
At the wedding studio,
Emma is in the fitting room and she has already tried many wedding dresses for
about eight hours. Gerry walks back and forth in front of the fitting room and
then picks up and reads the newspaper. He feels bored and he is impatient with her
hesitation.
Emma (She comes out the fitting room and stands in
front of a full-length mirror)What do you think
about this one?
Gerry It’s beautiful. Very suitable for you. (He speaks impatiently, reads newspaper,
and doesn’t look up)
Emma (Walk close to Gerry and pull away his newspaper)
You don’t look at me. How do you know it is suitable for me?
Gerry (Look up) Oh! You are so beautiful.
Emma Really?
But……I think it is too expensive.
Gerry’s cell phone is ringing
Gerry (He
answers the phone) Mom……okay, we will go home in twenty minutes. (After
hanging up the phone, he walks close to Emma and hugs her.) We have to go. My mom has
prepared some delicious dishes for us and she is waiting
for us for a long time. You can buy any kind of wedding dress if you like. I
don’t care about the money. I love you. I hope you will be the most beautiful
bride in the world.
Emma (She
pushes him away, walks around the wedding studio, and looks every piece
of wedding dresses)
I know. But I don’t want to squander
our money on the wedding dress. We
will spend lot of money in the future. I want to have children. Raising
children is money-consuming.
Gerry (He hurries to go but he has to comfort her
first) Wedding is also important. It will be a wonderful memory.
Emma (She
puts down the wedding dress she likes most and takes the cheaper one.)
Okay,
I want this one. Although this is not my favorite, it is enough.
After they buy the
wedding dress, they arrive at Gerry’s home.
Gerry Hi,
mom. I’m home.
Mother (She
comes out of kitchen.) Hello! I have been waiting for you so long. What kind of wedding
dress did you choose? Let me see.
Emma I chose this one. (Show the picture to his mother) Actually, this is not my favorite. But my
favorite one is so expensive that I couldn’t buy it. I think we have to save money but
Gerry thinks I should buy what I really want.
Mother I agree with what Gerry said. I also want
you to be the most beautiful bride in the world.
Emma Think you, mom. Gerry, do you smell? I
smell something burning.
Mother Oh! I forget I am cooking. (Running to the kitchen)
After his mother runs to the
kitchen and cooks for dinner, Emma and Gerry watch TV and chat.
Emma
(murmur)
I don’t know……
Gerry What did you say?
Emma I said I don’t understand why your mother
and you can spend money like that.
You have many useless things at home. (She
opens the shoes cabinet) Look!
There are so many expensive shoes.
Gerry (He
feels angry and turns of the TV.) I also don’t understand why you always criticize my
habits. I like to buy. I work hard. I spend money I earn, is it wrong?
Emma (She
turns on the TV because she doesn’t want Gerry’s mother to hear their
quarrel.)
Even though you spend money you earn, you still cannot waste. In the past, you like
to waste money. That’s your problem. But NOW we will live together. You have
to think about our future. Could you respect me?
Gerry You need to respect me as well. I don’t want
to argue with you. I want to buy a coffee. I will
come back before dinner. Do you want a cup of coffee? (Gerry opens the door and leaves)
Emma (She runs
to the doorstep and yells) No! You can’t leave now. We have to solve this problem.
After Gerry buys a coffee, he
comes home with his friend, Henry. They open the door. Gerry’s mother just walks out of
kitchen and takes the dish in her hand.
Gerry Mom, this is my friend, Henry. I have ever
told you. I met him on my way home
so I invited him to have dinner with us.
Henry Hello, I am Henry. Nice to meet you.
Mother Nice to meet you too. Welcome! We will have
dinner in a minute.
They sit around dining table.
Henry When will you get married?
Gerry Next month.
Henry I want to hold a bachelor party for you.
Mother Bachelor party! Sounds interesting. (She says as she puts the dishes on the table
and Emma helps her. Two men sit there and wait to eat)
Emma (Emma
helps taking the dishes from the kitchen and puts it on the table) Not interesting at all.
Gerry What’s wrong? Just a party.
Emma It’s a bachelor party. There will be so many
hot girls and wines. You will get out of control.
You can’t go to that party.
Henry Don’t worry. Just a few girls and wines. It’s fun.
Henry Don’t worry. Just a few girls and wines. It’s fun.
Gerry Okay, I will go to the party. You can tell
me when and where.
Emma (Put down her knife and fork heavily) I say
again you can’t go to that party.
Henry Sorry,
I have to go. (He feels something is
wrong. He doesn’t want to hear their
argument so he hurries to go.)
Gerry Okay,
bye. See you soon. (Gerry walks Henry to
the door. After Henry leaves, he closes the door and walks back.) Why? You
tell me the reason why I can’t go to the party.
Emma You
dare say you want to go to the party. I prepare the wedding every day and night. I am
worried about many things about our wedding all the time. You don’t care about our
wedding. You don’t care about me.
Gerry I care
about our wedding. I care about you.
Emma I never
feel it.It’s
difficult to decide who to invite to the wedding. But you never do these things
with me. Do you know who to invite?
Gerry I
don’t know.
Emma You
never help me. Now, you even want to go to this kind of party. I am so disappointed. Maybe I
have to think carefully whether to marry you.
Gerry I want
to help you but I don’t know how to do. Our wedding is approaching. I am afraid that I
have to take the responsibilities after marriage. I fear that I am not able to take that
kind of huge responsibilities. I also have to think whether to cancel our
wedding. I want to go now.
Emma I don’t
want to see you again.
Emma wants to pack up
her belongings she lays in Gerry’s house. In Gerry’s bedroom, she finds a
big cardboard box. She is curious about that box because she never see that box
before. Therefore, she opens it and sees a pram.
Emma He
remembers. He remembers that I want have a baby. (She opens the shoes cabinet and finds many shoes for children she
never sees)So many shoes, is it for our baby?
At that time, Gerry
comes home. He takes a bag.
Gerry I ……(Emma and Gerry speak at the same time.)
Emma I ……(Emma and Gerry speak at the same time.)
Gerry I
don’t want to leave you. (Both of them
say same words at the same time.)
Emma I don’t
want to leave you. (Both of them say same
words at the same time.)
Emma I think
seriously I still want to marry you. I want to live with you in the rest of my life. Although our
values are different sometimes, we can embrace those differences and
respect each other if we love each other.
Gerry’s mother
appears. She hears all the things. She is happy to see they make up with each other.
Mother I am
glad to see you make up with each other. I bake a chocolate cake. I know Emma love
chocolate cake.
Emma Why do you know?
Mother Gerry told me.
Gerry I want to give you a surprise.
Emma What’s surprise?
Gerry (He opens the bag and takes out the wedding
dress Emma likes most. He gets
down on his knees and proposes to her again.)
Do
you want to marry me?
Emma Yes, I do. (She bursts into tear with happiness. She goes to bedroom to wear that
wedding dress. She comes out of bedroom.)
Gerry You will be the most
beautiful bride in the world. (Gerry hugs
her and they hugs for a long time.)
The End
留言
張貼留言