Exercise Addition
We are encouraged to exercise because numerous
studies have demonstrated that regular exercise is good for health. However, there is such a thing as exercise
addiction. If it is left unaddressed, many harmful consequences
will ruin
the life of addicts. Some people become addicted to physical activities and engage in excessive
exercise. An obsessive, compulsive exercise becomes the most
important priority in the life of those who are addicted to exercise. In order
to do more exercise, they forget all other obligations and responsibilities
such as families, careers, and social engagements.
A
main reason that causes exercise addition is the sense of control. They feel
they can control the mood, the body, and the environment while doing exercise.
Ironically, the attempt to control leads to a loss of control eventually. They
do not have ability to balance the activity with other priorities in life.
When I feel anxious or depressed, I am eager to do exercise such as going jogging, doing yoga, and climbing mountains. At first, I went jogging twice a week. I found that I lost weight and became more energetic. Besides, I found exercise is a great way to express emotions, to address negative feelings, and to deal with stress. I feel the sense of control and forget all worries I am obsessed with while doing exercise. I start to go jogging almost every day until I read an article.
That
article is about a woman named Janice
Utley who is addicted to exercise: Her fitness regime ruins her holidays, her
social life and her marriage but she just cannot stop. On holidays, she cannot travel a long distance or she
should find gym when she arrives at her destination.
Besides, she never leaves home without her
portable player and exercise DVDs. Because she needs to do exercise to burn off every mouthful, she tries to avoid going out with friends for dinner, and
will make excuses to get out of it. What
is worse, her husband, Mark, feels that she ruins many holidays for him. He is angry that she exercise during pregnancy and
she does not care about the
safety of their children. Finally, Mark divorces her because he is fed up with her exercise addition.
Renowned running writer Dr. George
Sheehan said: "The things we do with our
bodies should be done merely because they are fun -- not because they serve
some serious purpose. If we are not doing something that is enjoyable on its
own account we should look for something that is." I feel strongly that exercise is very important in my life but I am still not like those who take exercise as the most important thing in their
life. Regular exercise is healthy but
excessive exercise is harmful. Therefore, if we are always obsessed with our need for exercise and cannot do
anything else, we should ask for help to overcome our exercise addiction.
留言
張貼留言